- AFNetworking for networking. duh
- Realm as a data store.
- Façade for the UI layout.
- SDWebImage for image downloading / caching.
- FLAnimatedImage for that one GIF.
- Fabric for beta distribution, analytics, and crash reporting.
- xkcd-font because obviously.
- Stripped, modified, and customized Mosaic Layout for the comic list.
v2.5 (Submitted to the App Store)
- iPhone X support
- Added support for the four most common languages used by users other than English. German, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, and Russian.
- Conducted full accessibility audit and implemented improvements.
- Added 3d-touch previewing of comics from list.
- New light-weight iOS app rating prompt replaced old alert-view style implementation.
- Minor bug fixes and improvements
- Bookmarking comics - If you enjoy reading all the comics in order, you can bookmark a comic from the comic screen and we've provided an option from the main comic list to be taken back to where you left off at any time.
- The "alt" view now includes the comic number as well as a "Explain" button that will take you to the explainXKCD site for that comic, in case you'd like a little more context.
- View All Unread - quickly filter out all viewed comics, seeing only unread comics in the list.
- Clear Cache - deletes all comics, resets all saved information including
- View Bookmarked Comic - As previously mentioned, when you select this menu option you will be taken back to the comic you bookmarked and can continue browsing in-order.
- View All Comics - this option will return to the unfiltered list if any of the above filters were applied.
- Fixes a comic view controller zooming issue caused by zooming in on a comic, viewing the alt text, then moving to the next/prev comic, resulting in the comic being zoomed out too far.
- Added a Today Widget showing the most recent comic.
- Removed GTrack and Google Analytics libraries.
- Fixes an issue with some of the known interactive comics, using a web view controller instead of the native comic view controller as a stop-gap until we work out some other solution.
- Ask users to leave a review, only once ever, to get some more feedback.
- Swipe navigation between comics.
- Share sheet.
- Moved alt button to bottom for easier use on larger devices.
- Random comics can be viewed from the comic list, making it easier to randomly browse.
- iOS 9 networking bug fix (https://github.com/mamaral/xkcd-Open-Source/issues/29)
- Share comics to Facebook and Twitter
- Added the ability to favorite a comic, which is indicated on the comic list with a pretty red heart. Along with this, you're able to toggle a filter on the comic list to see only favorites
- Roll-the-dice to view a random comic
- Navigate forward and backward through comics directly from the comic view controller
- Fixed a potential issue with comics not loading on the first launch
- Visual indication that comics are read vs. unread
- Improved comic view layout so some comics won't be cut off by the alt button
- Hopefully corrected issue related to disappearing push notifications
- Improved scrolling performance
- Search beta
- Silent push notifications w/ vibration & app badge
- Bug fixes
- Initial Release - you can read comics and stuff...
- Yours Truly - Architect of the iOS app.
- Sean Ferguson - Architect of the server that pulls content from xkcd and pushes to clients.
- Ryan Copley - CI build improvements.
Want to help?
Download the app and use it - give us feedback! Leave a star on the repo, and a review on the app. If you find any bugs, have any feature requests, or want to say mean and nasty things to me, open an issue, and if you can patch the bug or add a feature and submit a pull request, even better - just make sure to follow the same code formatting/style and BE SURE TO ADD TESTS if applicable.
License / Attribution
The source is made available under the MIT license. See LICENSE.txt for details. For information regarding xkcd licensing, click here.